Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Improvement, but...

4.37 miles today - a marked improvement over yesterday. The bad news is that walking only burns about 85 calories per mile. Clearly I'm going to have to diet as well. To illustrate the point, look at the handy little Fitbit graph. Can you see the difference between today when I walked 4.37 miles and yesterday's 1.42 (the two right-most bars)? Not much, is it? The days where I did next to nothing aren't dramatically different from those when I was quite active This supports my theory that while exercise is important for other reasons, you can't walk yourself thin without also drastically reducing caloric intake. I'm consuming about 2500 calories a day and that needs to be more like 1500 to make any significant headway. By the way, did you know a grilled cheese sandwich has 400 to 500 calories? Won't be having another one of those soon. Likewise, our favorite Roundtable pizza runs about 350 calories per slice. Yeah, I usually have four or five of those. Ouch. Widmer Hefeweizen (my favorite beer) has 156 calories per 12 oz bottle. Not as bad as I thought. Could I just have ten of those a day and forgo solid food? Hmmm... Might have other, unintended consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment