Monday, December 29, 2008

LEGO Meditation

Wear non-binding clothing. Sit in a comfortable but erect position. Focus on a single thing. As thoughts arise, distractions, let them pass, always returning your attention to the here and now. Suspend judgment. Have faith. Concentrate on the quality of the process, not on the outcome. Naturally, I'm talking about assembling LEGO kits.

Last week, while building the Star Wars LEGO "walker" shown in the previous post, I suddenly realized how meditative the process is. The big LEGO kits (thousands of pieces) require a certain state of mind to assemble successfully. One can neither be jittery nor tired, over-excited or bored. What it takes is a sort of meditative state where the builder is acutely aware and alert, but extremely relaxed and with a certain clarity of mind.

The instructions contain not a single word, freeing the mind from the vagaries of language, and allowing the process to flow from a part of the brain that is non-verbal. For me, the process is so enjoyable and relaxing, the end product is just a bonus.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I get the same feeling from doing mosaic projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This last week I've been working on a good old fashioned jigsaw puzzle, something I haven't done in several years. I chose a puzzle with colors that I like and a subject that is peaceful to me. I put on some music I can get lost in, the dogs come hang out on the floor beside me. Maybe that's why it's so calming. As you said, no verbal, just use the other part of my brain. Sometimes I consciously practice slow breathing while I work. Or I sing, of course! Can't help that.

    Thanks for the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my dad during the holidays about assembling various children's toys. My brother and I were SO into star wars when we were kids. We even had the Ewok village. Unfortunately, my parents had to put it together for us. Now my dad is an electrician, and really is mechanically inclined. he is an amateur woodworker (though you'd never know he was amateur by the finished product. But they would spend HOURS putting these playsets together for us. I seriously doubt he considered it therapeutic :)

    ReplyDelete