Wednesday, December 17, 2008

God - Part 3


I have wanted to believe in God my whole life. The universe is just too vast, too dark and too cold for me to be comfortable as an atheist. Sooner or later the sun will burn out or explode. Long before that, the Earth will become uninhabitable. Even if humans take to the stars, escaping the eventual demise of our solar system, the galaxy and the universe itself appear finite in nature. The inescapable conclusion is that all man's endeavors, hopes, dreams, fears, sins and triumphs are ultimately futile. Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. (See Mom, I did read my bible - especially Ecclesiastes.) When I was seven or eight, I asked Grandma Metz about this - about how people go on knowing it's all kind of, you know, pointless. It was an honest question but she seemed pretty irritated that I should ask such a thing. Come to think of it, we grandchildren probably asked a lot of annoying questions, like when Cari and Shari asked her what the definition of "renege" was. If you're curious, I'll tell you sometime. Suffice it to say that Grandma was not amused.

3 comments:

  1. Keep asking those questions little bro. There's a big difference between organized religion and knowing the God of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly sure Grandma told US that joke. 'Cause I thought I remembered it being hugely uncharacteristic of her. I could be making that up though. I make lots of things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you high? She said quite matter-of-factly that no, it meant to go back on one's word. She either didn't get the joke or did a pretty good job of pretending not to. You probably got the joke from Dad who thought that sort of thing was funny.

    ReplyDelete