Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Year Blues

Seems like this happens every year. After Thanksgiving, things slow down a bit at work as we become more cautious about breaking things during the year's biggest sales period. Then Christmas comes along with a few days off, food, naps, family visits, comfort and joy, etc., culminating in New Year's Eve - the big fireworks finale to close out the year.
All of this makes January 2nd my least favorite day of the year. The day of the post-holiday hangover. The day reality hits the fan. The day all hell breaks loose. The day life suddenly lurches back into gear. In this part of the country the weather is at its most dismal - dark, wet, and cold going to work; dark, wet, and cold going home. No real light - just various stages of twilight that pass for morning, noon, and night. The fog might burn off by mid-afternoon; just in time for it to start getting dark(er). And all the work we put off over the holidays is suddenly past due and top priority, meaning super-long days and sleep deprivation. And there's not a holiday in sight until Memorial Day. Ugh..

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think I'd have to get one of those happy lights (the fake sunshine ones) and strap it to myself, like a little personal light pole over my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then again, direct sunlight gives me a splitting headache. Never satisfied am I. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must suck. I have monday off for martin luther king day. I'll be thinking of you as I'm sleeping in, and then awaking to beautiful sunlight streaming through my window. Love you uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me very sad :-(

    But now I look at this as an opportunity to repay you for the kindness and laughter you have given me over the years. You have cheered me up on more occasions that I can count. I will be like Cato from the Pink Panther and sneak up when you least expect it and do something to make your day a little less bleak (I will leave the physical attacks to Austin...).

    With all the craziness that is coming at us at work, I know it is even more important to do some fun things to lighten up the day and our moods.

    You have been warned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats why I became a teacher... all kinds of holidays between New Year's and Memorial day! ;) Hee hee... ever think about changing professions???!!! :)

    ReplyDelete