Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Charter School Conundrum

I went to Austin's school today for the fall parent-teacher conference. His teacher is nice enough and the school isn't terrible, but I can't help but wonder if he might be better served somewhere else. We live in a typical (if there is such a thing) urban neighborhood and the student population reflects this demographic diversity. Hypothetically, cultural diversity in a school is a good thing, exposing kids to other cultures, languages, and points of view. In reality, finite resources are expended disproportionately on bringing everyone up to a common but low standard and there's not much left for those who would excel.
Before I became a parent, the idea of charter schools enraged me. That some group would siphon money from the public school system to set up their own flavor of school, following whatever agenda they may have, seemed outrageous. I thought those people should put their efforts into making public schools better rather than withdrawing what little support they have, effectively sending public school into a downward spiral of reducing revenue and diminishing value.
Now that I'm a parent, I realize that good parents will do whatever they need to do to provide the best possible education and experiences for their kids. If this means starting or joining a charter school, homeschooling, or moving to a better public school district, then so be it. Plus, charter schools are public schools, and what could be more democratic than communities organizing into groups where their children's needs can be best served. Interesting what a little perspective does for one, huh? Friends of ours put their son in a charter school this year and are quite happy with the results. I would not have believed it, but I must say we're leaning in that direction too.

3 comments:

  1. I'd say the concern over how my children were educated was the thing that produced more worry than anything else. As I'm sure you remember (and probably were horrified by) we tried homeschooling, private schools, public schools, a hybrid of private/homeschooling, and even threw in a charter school for a short time. Somehow they got an education. Your son's coming up to an important age, so good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would check into charter schools and see what you find in your area- for your own reference. You may end up happier with the school Austin is in now. If the school is fine, moving would just add to any instability that he has already experienced.
    PS: I like that you started a blog!
    Kudos to your sis for talking you into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to consider myself a school expert... I have done it all, including charter school. That was an interesting quarter. I met a whole community of very nice mormons, got to wear a very attractive uniform, and was asked to the school dance by at least a half dozen of aforementioned mormons (who are not allowed to date until they are 16, I guess then they are of marrying age). Anyway, nice people, interesting experience, eventually returned to public school where I learned to roll up my shorts to make them shorter and discovered that there was a difference between "macking" and "making out". Yea education!

    ReplyDelete