Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fat Dad Update

OK, it's May 3, I still have 15+ pounds to lose by the 28th, and 'sensible diet plus exercise' isn't going to make that happen. Desperate times call for desperate measures - or at least radical change. Starting yesterday I'm consuming 0 (zero) carbs on the Atkins theory that consuming little or no carbs forces your body to make blood sugar from stored fat. I've used this method a couple of times before with good results and it took years of senseless eating to gain the weight back.

Cons: Ketosis breath - stock up on sugarless breath mints. Heckish few initial days where limbs feel like they're made of lead before the body figures out it's really not going to get any sugar and had better go to plan B. Elevated cholesterol levels, though I already take Lipitor which hopefully offsets some of this and a few weeks of high cholesterol probably isn't going to make much long-term difference to heart health. Slight chance of long term imprisonment if I murder someone for their blueberry scone.

Pros: Quick results - I think you'll see what I mean as I start posting major losses. Loss of appetite - sounds odd to list this as a "pro", but I feel like I'm a slave to food, always having to eat first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and every couple of hours during the day. The whole blood sugar battle goes away and is replaced with an energy level that is a little low but blessedly stable. Fewer headaches - well, there's the "hunger headache" for the first day or two, but after that (based on past experience), I have few actual migraines while on this diet. Tells me that migraines and blood sugar are somehow related - at least for me. And did I mention Quick Results? It's the only way I know of (short of amputation or childbirth) to lose a lot of weight in a hurry without being completely miserable - especially handy if you have a firm short-term goal, or you're trying to win a bet (or a new pair of jeans - Tessa). :-)


Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, well I'm starting a "medically supervised" weight loss plan tomorrow. Really, it does start tomorrow. I've been to the clinic and had all those tests run to make sure I'm physically fit to lose weight (ironic). So we'll see how it goes. I gave up on will power and eating sensibly.

    ReplyDelete